About 14% of the Indian Population suffers from some form of arthritis. India has over 150 million people suffering from arthritis. It is one of the most leading causes of disability. Most people over the age of 50 show signs of arthritis. The joints naturally degenerate over time increasing the chances to have arthritis. It most commonly affects women.
Warning Signs of Arthritis
• Stiffness in Joints: One may get stiffness in joints after getting out from bed or sitting for long hours.
• Swelling: There may be swelling in one or more joints.
• Crunching: You may hear sound of bones rubbing against each other.
• Pain: There may be slight pain in joints which would increase over time
• Decreased or Limited Mobility of joint: You may not be able to move the joints properly
• Inflammation: Some forms of arthritis show inflammation.
Natural ways to reduce the risk of Arthritis
• Lose Weight- Reducing the stress on the joints by losing weight can improve mobility, decrease pain and prevent future damage.
• Get more Exercise- Regular movement helps to maintain flexibility in joints. Impact exercises like water aerobics or swimming to flex joints help without adding further stress.
• Use hot and cold therapy- Simple hot and cold treatments can make a world of difference when it comes to arthritis pain. Warm showers or baths, especially in the morning can help ease the stiffness in your joints. Cold treatments are best for relieving joint pain. Wrap a gel ice pack or a bag of frozen vegetables in a towel and apply to painful joints for quick relief.
• Use Meditation to Cope With Pain- Meditation and relaxation techniques can reduce pain from arthritis by reducing stress and calming the mind.
• Include the Right Fatty Acids in Your Diet- Everyone needs omega-3 fatty acids in their diet for optimum health. Fish oil supplements, which are high in omega-3s can help reduce joint stiffness and pain.
• Add Turmeric to Dishes- Turmeric is a yellow spice common in Indian dishes. It contains a chemical called curcumin that helps to reduce arthritis pain due to it’s anti-inflammatory properties.
• Get a Massage- According to the Arthritis Foundation, regular massaging of arthritic joints can help reduce pain, stiffness and improve the range of motion. Work with a physical therapist to learn self-massage or schedule appointments with a massage therapist regularly to help stiff joints